Church of the Immacolatella (Cefalù)

Search Hotel, B&B and Vacation Homes

The Church of the Immacolatella in Cefalù is located in via Mandralisca, a short walk from the Museum. Built in 1661, it was the seat of the Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer, composed of clerics and lay people whose mission was to help the dying. The façade of the building is very sober, with an entrance portal in lumachella stone, typical of Cefalù. The interior has a single nave and in a niche there is a statue of the Virgin adorned with silver. The walls were originally painted with figures of martyred saints, vases with flowers, cherubs and scrolls. In the 1800s, the building underwent radical changes, and perhaps after burying people who had died of cholera, the entire building was whitewashed with quicklime for hygienic reasons. The paintings were largely recovered during a restoration in the early 2000s.

Aggiungi ai preferiti

Leave a Reply

See others sights