Church of Purgatorio (Cefalù)

Search Hotel, B&B and Vacation Homes

The Church of Purgatory in Cefalù, also known as the Church of St. Stephen, is one of the few remaining examples of Baroque architecture in the small town. Built in 1668, it was the seat of the Confraternity of the Blacks. The entrance to the building is preceded by a double flight of steps, built after the church floor was lowered in 1868. The interior of the church is divided into three naves by two rows of monolithic columns. On the altar at the end of the nave is a large painting from 1813 depicting Christ giving the Eucharist to souls in pain. To the right of the entrance, there is the marble sarcophagus that contains the remains of Baron Enrico Piraino di Mandralisca, the nobleman who, after his death, donated to the city of Cefalù his valuable collections, which are exhibited in the museum dedicated to him.

Aggiungi ai preferiti

Leave a Reply

See others sights