The Church of Ecce Homo in Noto is also known as the Church of the Pantheon because it contains the bodies of twenty soldiers who died during the First World War. For many years, some of the rooms housed the State Experimental Winery, an institute that contributed to the success of Moscato di Noto in the world.
The history of the church of Ecce Homo in Noto
The construction of the church of Ecce Homo of Noto dates back to the 18th century. At that time it was decided to rebuild, on a hill just outside the new Noto, the church and the Capuchin convent destroyed by the earthquake of 1693. In 1885 the Municipality of Noto bought both the church and the convent, which was used as a home for the poor. The first floor, on the other hand, became the headquarters of the “Cantina Sperimentale Statale”, an institute that carried out research, experimentation and assistance to the many local wine growers in order to improve the quality of their products. In 1932 the building was completely renovated to give it its current appearance, transforming it into the Pantheon. In the same year a statue of Ecce Homo from Noto Antica was moved inside and it was decided to change the dedication of the church.
The exterior architecture of the church of Ecce Homo in Noto
The exterior architecture of the church of Ecce Homo of Noto is in the late neoclassical style. A decorative Greek motif is present along the entablature surmounted by a triangular tympanum. The tympanum is supported by four imposing columns whose form recalls Greek art. A large portico anticipates the entrance to the interior of the church. On its sides there are three secondary entrances. The one on the left leads to the presbytery of the church. The two on the right lead to the former convent of the Capuchins. In one of them you can still see the sign of the “State Experimental Winery”.
The interior of the church and the Pantheon of Noto
The interior of the church of Ecce Homo of Noto is naveless and has a splendid polished floor in Modica stone. In the central area of the altar, the floor is chequered and made of pitch and Modica stone. Along the walls are the niches containing the bodies of twenty soldiers who died during the First World War. They are decorated with Greeks and decorated with allegorical reliefs inspired by the afterlife. On the high altar is the precious statue of Christ at the Column, also known as Ecce Homo. This work, which gives its name to the church itself, was located inside the church of San Domenico in Noto Antica. It is a life-size wooden statue dating back to the 14th century, placed in a niche decorated with small columns and a neoclassical tympanum.Aggiungi ai preferiti