Church of San Domenico (Noto)

Search Hotel, B&B and Vacation Homes

The Church of San Domenico in Noto is located in the third large space that opens along Corso Vittorio Emanuele. It is considered by many to be the most representative monument of the late Baroque in Noto. Since 2002 it has been part of the World Heritage Site within the serial site Late Baroque Towns of the Val di Noto.

History and architecture of the church of San Domenico di Noto

The Church of San Domenico is considered the most representative of the Baroque in Noto. Designed by the architect Rosario Gagliardi, it was built between 1703 and 1727 as a convent church for the Dominican Fathers. Compared to Gagliardi’s other churches in the city, this one is certainly richer and more elaborate. The most characteristic element is undoubtedly the outwardly curved façade, already widely used by Roman architects from 1630. It is divided into two orders, the lower in Doric and the upper in Ionic. The façade is also enriched with shell-shaped niches designed to house statues.

The interior of the church and artwork

The interior of the church of San Domenico of Noto is a Greek cross with three naves and five domes richly decorated with stucco. On the high altar there is a statue of Our Lady of the Rosary in a gilded wooden ciborium by the sculptor Antonio Basile. On the third altar, in the left aisle, there is a crucifix and four marble Stations of the Cross. Other notable works include: a canvas by Antonio Mazza depicting St. Conrad and two canvases by Vito D’Anna depicting St. Vincent Ferreri and Our Lady of the Rosary. Both are signed and dated 1703. In the sacristy of St. Dominic’s there is a 17th century carved stone washstand and an 18th century inlaid wooden cabinet.

Aggiungi ai preferiti

Leave a Reply

See others sights