“Tina di Lorenzo” Theater

Search Hotel, B&B and Vacation Homes

The Teatro “Tina di Lorenzo” is the main theater of the city of Noto. It was built between 1855 and 1870 at the insistence of the people who wanted more cultural and musical events. Originally inaugurated for King Vittorio Emanuele III, since 2012 it has been dedicated to Tina Di Lorenzo, an actress from Noto.

The history of the Teatro Tina di Lorenzo of Noto

The construction of the Teatro Tina di Lorenzo of Noto dates back to 1855, while its official inauguration was in 1870. With the reconstruction of Noto after the destruction of the earthquake of 1689, the demand of the inhabitants for a theater became more and more urgent. For this reason, it was decided to build a theater in the current Hall of Mirrors of the Ducezio Palace. However, this solution was not permanent because of its limited capacity. For this reason, in 1855, a house (Salonia House) was purchased at the expense of the Marquis of Castelluccio. After several years of work, the theater was inaugurated on December 4, 1870, under the name of Vittorio Emanuele III Theater. Since 2012, the Teatro Comunale has been named after the Netine-born actress Tina di Lorenzo.

The architecture of the Teatro Tina di Lorenzo of Noto

The design of the Teatro Tina di Lorenzo of Noto was initially made by the architect Francesco Sortino, who was inspired by the model of French style theaters. After his death in 1863, the direction of the work passed to Francesco Cassone. The building occupies an area of 1075 square meters and has two floors. The lower floor consists of a loggia closed by a short colonnade and two lateral arches. The upper floor is crowned with statues and decorations that include harps, violins, trumpets and capitals with floral motifs. They were made by the sculptor Giuseppe Giuliano in a style very close to Liberty.

The interior of the theater

The interior of the Teatro Tina di Lorenzo of Noto consists of a horseshoe shaped hall with splendid decorations in classical style. It has 320 seats, including three rows of boxes and a gallery with 80 seats. The statue in the center of the entrance hall represents the allegory of music and is the work of the sculptor Giuliano Palazzolo. The two painters Subba and Di Stefano were responsible for the decoration of the stage, while Santi Ferrara did the gilding of the auditorium. On the pillars of the proscenium there were two tempera paintings on canvas depicting allegories of lyric and prose, now kept in the Pirrone Gallery of Contemporary Art

Aggiungi ai preferiti

Leave a Reply

See others sights