Church of Santa Maria Addolorata (Ragusa)

Search Hotel, B&B and Vacation Homes

Next to the imposing Cathedral of San Giovanni Battista is the Church of Santa Maria Addolorata of Ragusa. Also called the Church of the Badia or the Church of the Seven Sorrows, it was built in 1795 in neoclassical style. Inside there are some beautiful paintings by the painter Tommaso Pollace.

History and architecture of the Church of Santa Maria Addolorata in Ragusa

The construction of the Church of Santa Maria Addolorata in Ragusa dates back to 1795. It was requested by the noblewoman Felicia Schininà of the Marquises of Sant’Elia, who wanted to give to the city an educational institution for the young Ragusans. The façade of the church, in neoclassical style with baroque references, is divided into two orders. In the lower one there is the beautiful portal, flanked on both sides by two pairs of Corinthian columns. Four windows brighten this first order, separated from the second by a wide string course. In the second order, the curvilinear pediment stands out, supported by four columns, in the center of which is the bell tower.

The interior of the church

The interior of the Church of Santa Maria Addolorata in Ragusa is also in neoclassical style. It has a centric plan and a beautiful floor of pitchstone with geometric patterns. Along the whole wall there are alternating columns in a composite style. The hall is surmounted by a dome and another one is present in the apse area. Inside the church there are some very beautiful paintings by the painter Tommaso Pollace, including the Presentation of the Child to the Temple and a Pietà. On the other hand, the two paintings of the Death of St. Joseph and the Circumcision of Jesus are by an unknown artist.

Aggiungi ai preferiti

Leave a Reply

See others sights