Church of Santa Maria dello Spasimo (Ragusa)

Search Hotel, B&B and Vacation Homes

The construction of the church of Santa Maria dello Spasimo in Ragusa dates back to the beginning of the 16th century. Badly damaged by the earthquake of 1693, it was rebuilt in the eighteenth century. The entrance portal is flanked by two columns, spirally fluted at the bottom and vertically fluted at the top. They culminate in Corinthian style capitals. The cornice is decorated with reliefs and carvings of cherubs. The interior of the church of Santa Maria dello Spasimo in Ragusa has a single nave, but contains several works of art. Among them, the painting of the Seven Sorrows of Mary deserves the most attention. In one of the paintings on the walls it is possible to see a rare panorama of Ragusa before the earthquake. The wooden ceiling is decorated with paintings made in 1773 by the Ragusa artist Matteo Battaglia. The stuccos decorating the walls date back to the first half of the 18th century. The author is the artist Pasquale Cascone and they are very similar to those in the church of San Vincenzo Ferreri. The floor of the church is also very beautiful and is made of limestone with a geometric pattern obtained by inserting strips of pitch stone.

Aggiungi ai preferiti

Leave a Reply

See others sights