Vescovile Schininà Palace

Search Hotel, B&B and Vacation Homes

The Vescovile Schininà Palace  is one of the eighteen monuments of Ragusa that are part of the UNESCO site The Late Baroque Towns of the Val di Noto. Built at the end of the 18th century by Don Mario Schininà Cosentini, the palace was later divided into two wings by his sons. This configuration has remained until today and sees the south wing still owned by the Schinina family. The north wing, on the other hand, houses the seminary, the bishopric and the offices of the diocesan curia. 

The history of the Palazzo Schinina in Ragusa

The construction of the Vescovile Schininà Palace in Ragusa dates back to the end of the 18th century on the initiative of Don Mario Schininà Cosentini of the Marquis of Sant’Elia. In the first half of the 19th century, the building passed to his sons Giuseppe and Giambattista, who decided to divide it into two parts. In the south wing of the building, still owned by the Schininà family, Maria Schininà was born in 1841. The fifth of Gianbattista’s eight children, she would grow up to become the founder of the Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and was declared Blessed in 1990. The north wing of the palace was the seat of the Prefecture of Ragusa from 1926 to 1935. In 1949, the Marquise Carlotta Schininà donated this part of the palace to the parish priest of the nearby church of San Giovanni Battista to become the seat of the seminary. Today it also houses the Bishopric and the offices of the Diocesan Curia.

Architecture of the Vescovile Schininà Palace in Ragusa

The main façade of the Vescovile Schininà Palace in Ragusa has seven different balconies supported by pitchstone corbels and decorated with floral motifs. Two large doorways with elegant carved limestone pilasters lead to the different wings of the palace. The one in the north wing leads to a large covered atrium bordered by an artistic wrought-iron gate with the coat of arms of the Diocese of Ragusa. The door of the south wing, on the other hand, leads to a cobbled courtyard from which a splendid staircase with elegant stone balustrades starts. This leads first to the palace garden, where Baron Giuseppe Schininà, a great botanical expert, had some very rare species of plants planted. Some specimens can still be seen today, such as the two large araucarias that rise about 50 meters on either side of the entrance. Two different ramps lead from the entrance level of the garden to the main floor of the palace.

Aggiungi ai preferiti

Leave a Reply

See others sights