Philharmonic Center of Savoca

Search Hotel, B&B and Vacation Homes

The Philharmonic Center of Savoca is located in the former church of the Immaculate Conception. It was built in 1621 by the Conventual Friars of St. Francis. The church was actually dedicated to St. Anthony of Padua, but the people of Savoca called it the Church of the Immaculate Conception from the very beginning. From 1940 the building was abandoned and went into a long period of decay. Several works of art kept in the church were transferred to the Church of San Nicolò. In 1998 the church was finally restored and turned into an auditorium. The wooden interior has the characteristic shape of a boat, a solution designed to make the most of the acoustics, and is about four meters high. The ground floor has a capacity of fifty seats, and in the sanctuary there is a staircase that leads to the first floor, where there are sixty more seats.

Aggiungi ai preferiti

Leave a Reply

See others sights