The Church of Saints Peter and Paul in Taormina is considered the oldest in the city. It is located outside the town center, not far from the so-called Byzantine tombs. Inside there are the remains of a fresco dating back to the 15th century and a statue of St. Peter made of papier-mâché and decorated with pure gold dating back to the 1500s.
The history of the Church of Saints Peter and Paul in Taormina
The Church of Saints Peter and Paul of Taormina is a small church located outside the city center. It is considered to be the oldest of the churches in the city and its construction is said to date back to the Byzantine period. The building was located in the middle of the Byzantine necropolis, which was almost completely destroyed during the nineteenth century for the construction of today’s Via Pirandello. Some remains of these tombs, the so-called Byzantine Tombs, can be seen just behind the church. Some archaeological excavations, carried out between 1732 and 1742, brought to light various finds, including the head of Zeus. In 1763 the church was the subject of a study by the Dutch archaeologist and historian Jacques Philippe d’Orville, who found inside the so-called “Table of the Gymnasiarchs”, now on display in the Antiquarium of the Ancient Theater. his is a stele on which was carved a list of the names of the two magistrates who ran the gymnasium each year
Architecture and artwork of the church
While the structure of the Church of Saints Peter and Paul in Taormina dates back to the Byzantine period, the façade of the building dates back to the 18th century. It has a very simple appearance with a portal with jambs and an architrave in Taormina stone. The interior is divided into three naves by two pointed arches on each side. In the apse there are frescoes of the 15th century representing the twelve apostles. These were covered in the 1700s by some paintings that have cracked due to moisture. Inside the church, there is a statue of St. Peter made of papier-mâché and decorated with pure gold, dating back to the 1500s. Every year on June 29th it is carried in procession to the Church of San Pancrazio where it remains until July 9.Aggiungi ai preferiti