Taormina’s Piazza Duomo Fountain

Search Hotel, B&B and Vacation Homes

Taormina’s Piazza Duomo Fountain, also known as the “Four Fountains”, is located in the square in front of the Taormina Cathedral. It was built in 1635 in baroque style. The central part consists of two overlapping basins: the lower one is supported by putti, while the upper one is supported by sea monsters. Above this basin is a statue of a centaur holding a globe in his left hand and a scepter in his right, both symbols of power. On the outer edge of the smaller basin are engraved the names of the administrators who ordered the construction of the fountain in Taormina’s Piazza Duomo: Vincenzo Spuches, Vincenzo Cacopardo, Geronimo Mena and Cesare Cipolla. In the four corners of the fountain there are as many seahorses on columns. In ancient times, water came out of their mouths, which is why the work was also known as the “Four Fountains”.

Aggiungi ai preferiti

Leave a Reply

See others sights