Filicudi

Home  /  Destinations  /  Filicudi

Filicudi is the penultimate island in the north-western part of the Aeolian Archipelago. The Greeks called it Phoinicussa or Phoinicṑdēs, from the word phoinix meaning dwarf palm, which was very common in ancient times and is still present today. The great volcanic upheavals that marked the formation of the island have left behind some splendid traces. In the western part of the island, the Filicudi stacks can be seen on the horizon. The one called “La Canna” is a column that rises over 70 metres above the sea. The other one you can see is the Scoglio di Montenassari (Montenassari Rock). On this side of the island, the high coastline, which almost overhangs the sea, features troughs, inlets and fantastic caves, including the Grotta del Bue Marino. On the promontory of Capo Graziano, the remains of a Bronze Age village of oval huts were found in 1952. A branch of the Aeolian Archaeological Museum is located in the harbour area. Here there are finds from the excavations at Capo Graziano and elsewhere in the Aeolian Islands. The inhabitants of Filicudi are distributed between the towns of Filicudi Porto, Valdichiesa, Pecorini, Pecorini a mare, Canale and Rocca di Ciavoli. All these centres are linked by the island’s only paved road and a dense network of footpaths.

Sights


Tours and activities