Church of Gesù e Maria (Savoca)

Search Hotel, B&B and Vacation Homes

The Church of Gesù e Maria in Savoca is a 16th century building of which only the outer walls are visible today. It is located near the church of San Michele Arcangelo and the area where a synagogue once stood. Although in a state of disrepair, it is still possible to feel the architectural beauty of the original building.

History of the Church of Gesù e Maria in Savoca

The construction of the church of Gesù e Maria in Savoca dates back to the 16th century. It is the only remaining architectural evidence of the activity of the Brotherhood of Jesus and Mary. According to some documents from 1624, the church was used for a few years to replace the nearby church of San Michele, because the latter was temporarily unusable. According to tradition, the church was used until the end of the 19th century. Later the building was abandoned and fell into a state of decay. Today only the outer walls remain.

Architecture of the church

The layout of the Church of Gesù e Maria has a rectangular base and a single nave. Of the original building, only the perimeter walls of mixed brick and stone masonry remain. In contrast, the main façade is made of solid brick masonry. This suggests that the building underwent several phases of construction over time or that its use changed. A magnificent sandstone portal surmounted by a window can still be seen in the main façade. When the Church of Gesù e Maria was in ruins, the high altar, built in the 17th century in Baroque style, was removed and placed as a side altar in the Church of the Holy Family in Santa Teresa di Riva.

Aggiungi ai preferiti

Leave a Reply

See others sights