Ancient Portal of San Giorgio

Search Hotel, B&B and Vacation Homes

The ancient portal of San Giorgio is the only remaining element of an ancient church built in the 15th century and dedicated to the patron saint of Ragusa. After the earthquake of 1693 destroyed the building, the people of Ragusa decided to rebuild it in the place where the Cathedral of San Giorgio stands today. The portal is made of blocks of soft local limestone and is in Gothic-Catalan style. It consists of a group of six columns on each side, crowned by capitals decorated with foliage. The upper part has magnificent arches decorated with figures representing artisans and monstrous figures. A lunette representing St. George killing the dragon enriches the portal. Two eagles, the symbol of the Aragonese, are depicted above the arch, within lozenges.

Aggiungi ai preferiti

Leave a Reply

See others sights