Porta Messina (Messina Gate) is one of the ancient city gates and part of the ancient city walls built by the Arabs. Together with Porta Catania, which is diametrically opposite, it limits Corso Umberto, the main street of Taormina. Between these two gates there is a third called Porta di Mezzo or Clock Tower. Porta Messina is also known as Porta Ferdinandea, because it was King Ferdinand IV of Bourbon who wanted it built. The year of its inauguration is 1808, as shown by a plaque still visible at the top of the gate.Aggiungi ai preferiti
See others sights
The Church of San Pancrazio in Taormina is located just outside the city walls, near the so-called Byzantine Baths. The construction of the building dates back to the Byzantine period, reusing the remains of an ancient Greek temple dedicated to the gods Isis and Serapis.
The Church of Santa Caterina d’Alessandria in Taormina is located in Corso Umberto, just in front of Palazzo Corvaja. The building was built in the first half of the 1600’s on the remains of the Roman Odeon, which can still be seen in the rear part of the church.